OMG January is over? We’re already 1/12 through 2015? Gah. Life please slow down. Life is pretty great right now. My new gig is going so well, it’s almost a certain husband’s birthday (we can’t sneak away for a mountain cabin escape this year sadly, but I do get to bake a cake!), and Suits is back on. When Harvey Specter is back, do you really need anything else? I didn’t think so.
Here’s what I’m loving this month:
1. Don’t you love this fire pit? I am longing for a mountain or lake getaway rightnow. I think I’ve been feeling this particular brand of wanderlust for months now. But no dice. For now. We’re supposed to get snow this weekend (thankfully not like the East coast got this week, only a few inches) so I could totally fake it with a cozy staycation, right? Everyone (Nico included) chills in pajamas in front of a fire with bad-for-you snacks and lots of spiked hot chocolate! Not quite as picturesque as the scene above. Sigh.
2. Speaking of fires, this fireplace and mantel is basically my platonic ideal of a fireplace and mantel. I want to jump into my computer and move into this house. The stone work is so gorgeous and I am dying over a floating chunky mantel these days. You better believe it’s happening in our lower level later this year. In fact, I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say everything in that picture is happening in our lower level later this year…luckily for me, here’s a diy version of the mantel. Even I can do it? Sure.
3. This cold, bitter weather has me craving everything hot and/or spicy, but I’m getting a little tired of the same old, same old soup. Enter this Thai Noodle Bowl. Look at those red pepper flakes! I want red pepper flakes on all the things. This Asian chicken noodle soup is quick and healthy, perfect for spicing up any old Tuesday night. Do it now.
4. Ok, so you know how I was disappointed by my unmet expectations of The Hangman’s Daughter? The Husband and I went to the library on Monday (I actually get to go to the library in my free time — it’s so fun when it’s not work!) and the cover of The Brothers Cabal popped out at me. You guys. It’s exactly what I wanted The Hangman’s Daughter to be. It’s full of dark, gothic, dry British humor and mystery galore. The brothers are a necromancer and a vampire and the author-as-narrator works so well here. It’s number four in a series and I already can’t wait to go get them all. I’m hooked.
5. Since I’ve had to enter the adult world and dress up for work, the rest of the time I have been all about some cozy, chic layers. I want to wear sweaters and wraps and jeans all the time. This look is pretty much what you’ll find me in anytime it’s not 9-to-5. Unless, you know, there are yoga pants around.
What’s making you smile this month?